It's been a ruff few weeks and I haven't been able to post on food or growing in life. I have been out of town, helping to take care of my mother, down south. She broke her wrist and hasn't been able to fend for herself, so I decided to race down and help the family out. You see my Mother works extremely, hard and even takes care of some of her grand kids full time. I am in awe of all the things she does and really don't know how she does it.
THE HURRICANE:
Here's the part where I tell you how Hurricane Sandy, has effected me. I live on the Rockaway Peninsula in NYC and have loved it since I moved there. It's almost like being in the burbs, and yet your in one of the largest cities in the world. It's a schlep to get to where I live but I love the place, there's beautiful beaches and I have a yard which I absolutely love. I can be outside and tend to the garden and then go to the beach for a lovely walk. It really is a nice place to be.
Your probably wondering, what is this, and why I told you all about my lovely neighborhood in NYC. Well because of Hurricane Sandy, I lost almost everything. I am sure people had it much worse than I do but the fact is I have never lost everything I own in about fifteen minutes. I am still at a loss to explain how it is that I am going on and not sinking quickly into a sever depression. I think the only thing that saves me is the fact that the love of my life survived. Because of our crazy dog Mojo, Ben got out in time, when the flood waters started pouring into our house.
I may have lost all my belongings and my home, but the love I have for Ben has kept me afloat in these horrible times. See because I am away from home taking care of my mother, we were separated during the storm. When the power shut down in my home, I didn't have a way to even talk to my loved ones in NYC. I had no way to help them and it hurt my heart to be so helpless and not be there for the ones I love so dearly.
See things can always get worse, but tragedies like this storm make one realize that there are so much more than material posessions. I may have lost stuff, but I didn't lose the man I love, I didn't lose my crazy dog, or my wonderful mother-in-law, or brothers and sister- in laws. I can come out of the darkness, and thank G-d that he spared these wonderful people in my life. I can hold my head up high, even when I am stressed out about this situation.
I am truly a lucky woman, that I have what I have in this life. Some people lost loved ones and homes in the storm, and I want you all to send your prayers out for those people as well. If you can donate money or goods to shelters, red cross, or organizations that are trying to help please do.
I will leave you with these wise words. "I will survive, as long as I know how to love, I know I'll stay alive" Gloria Gaynor (I will survive)
PS I will try to post as often as possible and recipes will be coming soon, again. In the mean time, there are great places to volunteer to help, you can find some of those at NYC.GOV
Again, thank you for staying around during these insane times.
No comments:
Post a Comment