Recently, I promised Wine Roast. Well I was reminded that I am making it again tomorrow and thought I should share now with you the recipe before I forget. I made this for Rosh Hashanah because it has a somewhat sweet gravy which I cook down as a gravy and it's super easy, you can pretty much set it and forget it for a few hours.
I am not of fan of making savory dishes sweet so when I came up with this recipe on accident, I thought well that's pretty good, I need to write that down. It's so simple and a recipe good for a weekend meal or a meal where you don't want the main course to look like you've been slaving away in the kitchen but really haven't.
One day I was inspired by Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon and I made it with a wine that was given to me, and it didn't turn out well because the wine wasn't a wine I would drink. If I ever give you good cooking advice, here's something every home cook should know. DO NOT COOK WITH WINE YOU DO NOT LIKE TO DRINK!!!! Wine is great to cook with but the flavor intensifies when you cook it. So don't cook with a wine you wouldn't drink because you won't eat what you have cooked, as simple as that.
Once again I was given wine and thought I am going to try this again. It was a sweet red wine, very inexpensive but it was good to drink and therefore safe to cook with. I decided ok it's sweet, but I will take the chance. I didn't want the roast to come out super sweet and I was positive the wine would become sweeter as cooked but lucky me it didn't. The ending result is simple, Wine Roast. Yummy!!
Here is the recipe which I want to share with you.
Wine Roast
1 Roast(this can be a cheap chuck roast because you will cook it on the stove or whatever you prefer)
1 Bottle of sweet red wine
1-2 medium sized onions sliced thin
1 TBS. of vegetable oil
3-4 TBS flour
salt & pepper to taste and mixed in with the flour
1. Dredge the roast in seasoned flour.
2. Heat oil in the pan in which you would like your roast to cook in. (You must have a lid)
3. Cook the roast on all sides on medium high heat until browned. Just a couple of minutes on each side.
4. Add the onions and wine to the pan.
5. Cover pan with lid and turn down flame to low.
6. Depending on what size roast you have this recipe can cook from 2-4 hours and you must turn the roast every half hour, so that it cooks evenly.
7. When your roast has cooked through, take it out of the pan and let it rest on a cutting board for at least 15 minutes.
8. While the roast is resting, mix 1 tsp of cornstarch and 1 TBS. of water and add to the drippings and cooked wine. It should cook for a few minutes and thicken up.
9. Finally, slice roast and serve with gravy.
NOTES: If you have more time and do not want to add corn starch to your gravy, you can cook it down uncovered for 15-20 minutes but be sure to stir to get all the good stuff that may be cooked to the bottom of the pan.
I hope you enjoy the wine roast, it is spectacular and simple. It has amazing flavor and you don't have to buy an expensive piece of meat to enjoy this dish. Don't be afraid to cook with alcohol, the fact is the alcohol cooks off and you are left with flavor. So don't be afraid to try this recipe with whatever kind of wine you like.
Here is to future great dishes. I send my love and want you to have a wonderful weekend.
RhodaGrows
No comments:
Post a Comment